DIGITAL ACCESSIBILITY SERVICES
University Disability Resources
New guidance from Digital Accessibility Services
Hosting Accessible Remote Meetings and Events
When meetings and events are held remotely, digital accessibility is important to ensure that all attendees, including people with disabilities, are able to participate and engage with content at the same time, with the same ease of use. With a little pre-planning, event hosts can structure an inclusive and functional environment for all participants.
Providing Live Captions for Events
Live captions provide an inclusive meeting experience for participants who may not otherwise be able to hear speakers and sounds at the event. They provide access and benefit other attendees such as those who might have distractions or non-native English speakers. While we encourage live captioning for all events and meetings no matter the number of participants or size, there are three common scenarios where an event sponsor or meeting host might provide live captions.
Live Transcripts available in Zoom
Zoom now offers a Live Transcription Service for every meeting, and meeting hosts are encouraged to turn it on as an inclusive practice. Live transcripts allow participants to see automatically generated captions and transcriptions of spoken audio in real time during a meeting or webinar. While auto-generated captions do not meet the accuracy requirements of Harvard’s Policy, they can still be beneficial for meeting attendees.
Harvard-Licensed Tools to Check Accessibility
- Breaks down accessibility issues into prioritized, manageable tasks
- Runs automated Accessibility and Quality Assurance checks
- Tracks and reports progress towards accessibility compliance
- Provides guidance and practical recommendations
- Designed for use with complex, transactional websites and applications
- Allows for multiple, customizable ways to test content and intelligent reporting
- Provides recommendations on issues and further evaluation including compliant and non-compliant code examples
Digital Accessibility Services Office Hours
Got accessibility questions? Not sure where to start? We're here to help!
The Digital Accessibility Services (DAS) team is available to answer your questions and provide guidance and support to the Harvard community.
We will be holding open office hours in a Zoom meeting room on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month from 10am-12pm.